Iowa Western Community College
covid-19Iowa Western's plan to reopen facilities, and keeping our students and staff safe.

College information and updates

Veteran/Military Students

How will you continue your mission?

Iowa Western Community College is a learning community committed to excellence in meeting educational needs and improving the quality of life of our veteran/military students and their families through programs, partnerships and community involvement. Let us help you continue your mission.

Advanced Technology, State-of-the-Art Resources

A Cyber Library, campus-wide Wi-Fi, suite-style housing, high-tech biology labs, an allied health simulation center. Discover all of this and more at Iowa Western.  

Be a Part of the Action

Calling all athletes, musicians, actors, artists, dancers, spectators and sports fans. There’s a place for you here. We want your talent and enthusiasm.


Getting Started Checklist

Getting started using your VA education benefit(s) is easy, too!  There are many different benefits available to active duty, guard, reserve, and veteran students.  You must complete the appropriate application through the VA.

Students using VA benefits need to submit the following document to the Veteran Services Coordinator:

 •  Certificate of Eligibility (this will be given to you by the VA once your application
      is approved)

Keep in mind that processing the certification can take the VA some time. Because of this, you will be granted deferred billing on your student account until the end of term to avoid any late fees or withdrawal for non-payment.

Some students depend on using federal financial aid (Pell grants, loans, etc.) for living assistance. Federal law mandates that financial aid must be applied to your account if there is a balance, and federal financial aid will disburse before your VA benefits typically do. This puts some students in a difficult financial situation.

Please call our office before the start of the term if you are dependent on those funds for expenses other than tuition and fees, and we will certify your benefits earlier. You must be enrolled in classes and let us know at least a month in advance for time to process your benefits before the start of term.

We recognize that many service members, veterans, and their dependents have questions about benefits and how to use federal assistance. Learn more about each of the VA benefits programs.

For active duty, Reserve, Guard, and veterans in the Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard, request your Joint Service Transcripts.

For active duty, Reserve, Guard, and veteran Air Force members, request your Community College of the Air Force transcripts .

You need to complete a skills assessment test called the COMPASS. If you have taken the ACT, ASSET, or SAT recently, you can submit those scores in lieu of taking the COMPASS test. Test scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you are accepted. If you have completed math or English courses at another institution, your scores may be waived, unless your program requires minimum scores for admission. Your scores will be used to place you into appropriate level Math and English courses. To schedule COMPASS, email [email protected] or call 712.325.3277.

If you wish to receive financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after January 1 of the year you intend to start at Iowa Western. The FAFSA is available online at, and is used to determine your eligibility for grants (money you don’t need to pay back) and loans (money you borrow). You will need to know Iowa Western’s school code, which is 004598. More than 80% of Iowa Western student receive financial aid, including hundreds of scholarships, which you can apply for in one simple scholarship application.

Do you know what kind of career you would like to have? Are there specific things you like to do and would like to turn those into a career? Take our career planning assessment and find out. What will you Become?

Some programs at Iowa Western require additional requirements for acceptance. You will be notified if your program requires any additional information from you, and you can view the list of programs online.

Once you apply and submit placement test scores you will be invited to attend New Student Registration & Orientation (NSRO). All new students must attend NSRO to register for your first semester. At NSRO you will register for your classes, finalize financial aid and payment arrangements, order your textbooks, get your student ID card and attend orientation. NSRO ends with a celebration welcoming you to the Reiver Family.