Iowa Western Community College
covid-19Iowa Western's plan to reopen facilities, and keeping our students and staff safe.

College information and updates

Transfer Of Credit From Other Institutions


Iowa Western Community College will accept the credits awarded to a student who has done successful work, defined as a “C” or higher, at a regionally accredited college or university. A grade of “C” or higher is required for the credit to transfer, however, only the credit will be transferred. Grades for transfer credit will not affect the student’s cumulative grade average and will not appear on the student’s Iowa Western Community College transcript. Courses taken for pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory grades may only be transferred if the pass or satisfactory grade is equivalent to at least a “C” or higher. All acceptable college credit will be evaluated by the Registrar and then transfer credit applicable to the student’s program of study will be awarded. This transfer credit information will be available upon request during the initial term of enrollment.

The College will accept a maximum of 16 semester hours of Career and Technical credits from another regionally accredited institution as elective credit only towards the Associate in Arts or the Associate in Science degree. The College will accept a maximum of 30 semester hours of Career and Technical credits as elective credit only toward the Associate of General Studies degree.

Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution where credit was earned to the Iowa Western Community College Records and Registration Office. It is the responsibility of the student to have international transcripts translated into English and evaluated by World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). Records submitted to the College as part of the admissions procedure become part of the official file and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to another institution.

Iowa Western Community College cannot guarantee how other colleges may treat the acceptance of transfer credits.