Iowa Western’s Title IV School Code is 004598
INFORMATION ABOUT COMPLETING THE FAFSA AND FAFSA RENEWAL
The acronym, FAFSA, stands for “Free Application for Federal Student Aid.” It is the basic federal application you will file if applying for financial aid.
FOR HELP COMPLETING THE FAFSA
ICAN has a representative at the Council Bluffs campus who helps students complete and submit their FAFSA application. To schedule an appointment call 877-272-4692 Monday-Thursday from 8:00-4:30 or go to www.icansucceed.org and click on Schedule Now to book your appointment online.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN COMPLETING THE FAFSA
You will need a FSA ID (Username and Password to electronically sign your FAFSA application. You can create an FSA ID at: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
he FSA ID serves as a student’s or parent’s identifier to allow access to personal information in various U.S. Department of Education Systems and acts as a digital signature on the FAFSA and other U.S. Department of Education online forms.
Using your FSA ID is the only way to access or correct your information online, or to pre-fill a FAFSA on the Web application with information from your previous year’s FAFSA.
Your FSA ID is used to sign legally binding documents electronically. It has the same legal status as a written signature. Don't give your FSA ID to anyone—not even to someone helping you fill out the FAFSA. Sharing your FSA ID could put you at risk of identity theft! The FSA ID process consists of three main steps:
1. Enter your log-in information.
- Provide your e-mail address, a unique username, and password, and verify that you are at least 13 years old.
2. Enter your personal information.
- Provide your Social Security number, name, and date of birth.
- Include your mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, and language preference.
- For security purposes, provide answers to five challenge questions.
3. Submit your FSA ID information.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your e-mail address. (This is optional, but helpful. By verifying your e-mail address, you can use your e-mail address as your username when logging into certain ED websites. This verification also allows you to retrieve your username or reset your password without answering challenge questions.)
When finished creating your FSA ID you are ready to complete your FAFSA application on the web on the FAFSA website.
To complete the FAFSA application you will need to gather the following information:
- Prior year Income information (including self, spouse or parent, if dependent)
- Prior year records of earned income (non-tax filers)
- Prior year Social Security documentation
- Prior year ADC, AFDC, TANF documentation
- Prior year Child support documents (either paid or received)
- Any other prior year untaxed income documentation (military housing allowance, etc.)
- Current bank statements showing savings
- Records of stocks, bonds, real estate or investment value