IOWA LAST-DOLLAR SCHOLARSHIP
The Iowa Last-Dollar Scholarship is a state program that helps Iowa residents earn certificates, diplomas, or associate degrees in one of Iowa’s high-demand career fields. The Iowa Last-Dollar Scholarship will cover any tuition and fees that aren’t covered by federal and state grants/scholarships, ex: Pell Grants, SEOG, Kibbie, etc. If you aren’t eligible for federal or state grants, you could still qualify for the Iowa Last-Dollar Scholarship. Either way, your tuition is completely paid for!
Here's How to Qualify:
1. Must be an Iowa Resident.
2. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by August 1st. The FAFSA will determine what other federal and state grants you are eligible for. The Even if you don’t qualify for grants, you may still qualify for the scholarship. After you complete the FAFSA, you may need to complete additional paperwork in order to receive financial aid. Iowa Western will let you know if you need to complete anything else. For more information about the FAFSA, including getting help to complete it, click here.
3. Choose one of the high-demand programs below. Programs with an * have prerequisites. Prerequisites must be completed and you must be accepted into the program in order to receive the scholarship. Click on the links below for program information.
Do You Qualify? Here are the Next Steps:
1. Apply to Iowa Western. Be sure to select one of the programs above.
2. Meet with an advisor to register and make your graduation plan.
- Click here to schedule a time to register for classes
- Find your group below to see how many credits you need to be registered in:
|Group 1:||Group 2:|
|Iowa High School Graduate||Adult Learners (age 20 or older)|
|New high school graduates who register for the fall semester immediately following high school graduation.||Adults who will turn 20 before July 1 the summer before registering.|
|MUST register full-time (12 credit hours).||Register full-time or part-time.|
|Cannot drop below full-time.||Cannont drop below half-time (6 credit hours).|
|Award available up to 5 full-time semesters.||Award available up to 8 part-time semesters or the full-time equivalent.|
3. Meet Ongoing Requirements while in the Program
- Remain an Iowa resident
- Attend an orientation
- Meet with an advisor to register for classes
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Remain continuously registered in the required credits per semester.
- (Summers are not required. Stay full or part-time, depending on your group requirements above).