Human Services: Youth Worker
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 4 Semesters, 1 Summer
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day & Evening
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Social Sciences
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Put your desire to help young people to good use in college as you prepare to become a youth worker by enrolling in Iowa Western’s Human Services Youth Worker program. If you like to work with children through difficult times in their lives, this program is perfect for you. Graduates earn an Associate of Arts degree and can enter this field immediately or transfer to a four-year college to work toward a bachelor’s degree.
This program will instill you with the knowledge and confidence to work with children and adolescents in such settings as residential treatment centers, group homes, crisis shelters, and hospital-based adolescent programs. You’ll get hands-on experience studying teenage and adolescent issues and learn how to help troubled youths handle a crisis.
The Human Services Youth Worker program is designed for students with the option of transferring to a four-year institution or entering the workforce in an entry-level youth care worker position. In this program, you learn how to work with children and adolescents in a variety of settings such as residential treatment centers, group homes, hospital-based adolescent programs, and crisis shelters. Qualified personnel are in high demand in many residential treatment programs.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Recognize the professional characteristics of a human services worker.
- Demonstrate effective interviewing and counseling skills when engaging clients.
- Compose the written documentation required of a human services case manager.
- Assemble a comprehensive service plan.
- Recognize the dynamics of vulnerable persons and special populations.
- Evaluate community and agency resources.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa