Media Studies: Television/Video
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day & Evening
Pathway: Career Path
Career Cluster: Communication and Fine Arts
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Media Studies: TV/Video is a highly specialized program, allowing students to work with state-of-the-art equipment while learning first-hand the skills needed to succeed in all aspects of storytelling in video, television/cable, and new media applications.
Students build proficiencies in courses such as studio and field production, video editing, and script writing, from beginning through advanced production classes. These skills sets benefit students, independent filmmakers, freelance producers and young professionals who wish to pursue careers in news, documentaries and sports.
Iowa Western has a strong Media Studies program, providing students' valuable hands-on experience on IWTV and social media channels.
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of this two-year degree. Graduates are qualified to work as a camera operator, editor, control room operator, and assistant producers in TV and news. Graduates also have many opportunities in the freelance work, including specializations in sports marketing, weddings, advertising, film, web site production and more.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Use digital editing software to produce professional quality materials.
- Write in a variety of styles for use in the media.
- Create a post-graduation packet including a resume, cover letter, demo, and web/social media components.
- Demonstrate vocal performance ability.
- Use studio and field production equipment to produce video stories.
- Analyze the significance of mass media and its role in society.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.