Culinary Arts: Food Service
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall Only
Program Length: 2 Semesters, 1 Summer
American Culinary Federation Education Foundation’s Accrediting Commission
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day, Evening, Online
Pathway: Career Path
Career Cluster: Industrial Technology and Transportation
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Get on the cutting edge of cooking by enrolling in Iowa Western’s Culinary Arts program of study. You’ll learn the fundamental and intermediate techniques of food preparation, production, and baking skills. Graduates are awarded a Diploma and find immediate employment in this exciting field.
You’ll get hands-on cooking experience in Iowa Western’s new facility in the Student Center. Iowa Western also participates in the Iowa Beef competition and the Iowa Pork competition each year.
The Culinary Arts program is designed to place students into the workforce upon completion of the ten-month diploma. After completing this program, graduates are qualified for entry-level to intermediate positions in the field. Students who wish to earn a degree and qualify for advanced positions should continue on and complete The Culinary Arts diploma, or one of three Associate of Applied Science degrees in Culinary Arts: Culinarian, Baking and Pastry Art, or Restaurant and Hospitality Management.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify and demonstrate how to properly use the principle pieces of equipment in a kitchen, baker and and dining room setting while preparing and servicng foods in mass quantity.
- Define and explain the structure and functions of a strandardized recipe and how to price out for a menu after it has been modified or extended.
- Demonstrate a set of mental and manual skills, and the ability to apply them to a range of cooking and baking styles, using equipment in quantity, hot and cold foods as well as baking preparation.
- Understand and apply basic culinary and baking principles specifically to entrees, soups and sauces, garde manger, charcuterie and baked goods during preparation in compliance with HACCP and in accordance to industry standards and specifications.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.