Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall Only
Program Length: 4 Semesters, 1 Summer
Completed Online: No
Completed in the Evenings: No
Pathway: Career Path
Career Cluster: Industrial Technology and Transportation
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
The Construction Management program of study provides a basic knowledge of carpentry and prepares students for management/supervisory positions in the construction field or a similar industry. Students learn all phases of building or remodeling of homes, apartments and commercial structures. Students gain practical experience during a full-time, paid internship in the construction field during the 2nd year of the program. Graduates of this program are awarded an Associate of Applied Science degree.
New program pending state and regional accreditation approval
Construction managers coordinate and supervise a wide variety of projects, including the building of all types of public, residential, commercial, and industrial structures, as well as roads, memorials, and bridges. Construction managers oversee specialized contractors and other personnel. They schedule and coordinate all construction processes so that projects meet design specifications. They ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify and demonstrate the use of appropriate tools safely for residential construction.
- Demonstrate the basic practices in electrical, plumbing, and HVAC and how it relates to residential construction.
- Identify the various types of interior finishes in residential construction.
- Demonstrate how to construct floor, wall, ceiling, and stair systems in residential construction.
- Identify and demonstrate the interior and exterior components and finishes of a commercial building.
- Prepare an estimate (quantity take-off) for residential construction.
- Interpret residential and commercial blueprints and plans.
- Demonstrate CAD in multiple software programs.
- Describe the role of a supervisor in residential and commercial construction.