Culinary Arts: Food Technician Certificate
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall Only
Program Length: 2 Semesters
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: No
Pathway: Career Path
Career Cluster: Business and Computers
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Students pursuing a career in the culinary industry can start with this two semester certificate program, designed to teach students the basic food safety, preparation, and production skills and techniques needed to gain entry-level employment in restaurant, hotel, motel, institutional, health care and private club facilities.
After completion of the course sequence, students earn a certificate, which can be applied toward advanced awards, including a diploma program and three Associate of Applied Science degrees in Culinary Arts: Culinary, Baking and Pastry Art, and Restaurant and Hospitality Management.
The Culinary Arts program is designed to place students into the workforce upon completion of the eight-month certificate. After completing this program, graduates are qualified for entry-level positions in the field. Students who wish to earn a degree and qualify for advanced positions should continue on and complete The Culinary Arts diploma, or one of three Associate of Applied Science degrees in Culinary Arts: Culinarian, Baking and Pastry Art, or Restaurant and Hospitality Management.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify & demonstrate how to properly use the principle pieces of equipment in a kitchen, while preparing foods in mass quantity.
- Define and explain the structure and functons of a standardized recipe and how to price out for a menu after it has been modified or extended.
- Demonstrate a set of mental and manual skills, and the ability to apply them to a range of cooking styles, using equipment in quantity, hot and cold foods preparation.
- Understand and apply basic culinary and baking principles specifically to entrees, soups and sauces, garde manger, charcuterie, during preparation in compliance with HACCP and in accordance to industry standards, and specifications.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.